AP Psychology classes have taken a pledge to help Bring Change 2 Mind and end the stigma surrounding mental illness as part of their classwork. To create awareness and support, they are encouraging students, staff, parents, etc. to sign a pledge document (found in the greeter's office) so it can be added to the growing pledge gallery located in the Social Studies Dept. hallway on the 3rd floor.
Bring Change 2 Mind Principles:
- I realize that mental illness is treatable and manageable.
- I understand that everyone is a valued person and deserves to be treated with respect.
- I will refrain from blame, shame, secrecy, social exclusion, stereotypes or discrimination.
- I will change the language I use when I talk about mental health and I will educate those who use stigmatizing language. I know that words matter.
- I will educate myself about the symptoms of mental illness and any side effects that may occur from treatment plans.
- I will use appropriate resources to work towards the stability of a loved one or myself.
- If I am feeling suicidal, I will reach out for help. If I know someone is experiencing suicidal thoughts, I will take it seriously and make every effort to ensure they get help.
- I will reduce stigma in myself and in others by being open about living with mental illness, naming it out loud and raising people's awareness.
- I will help change the way people view mental health. I will make a difference.
Links to check out:
First Annual LETS BC2M Student Summit Video
Please feel free to contact Brian Boruszak email@example.com or Julie Harris firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.