All regular meetings of the Boards of Education for District 115 and 67 are open to the public and visitors are welcome.
Time is provided on the agenda of each meeting for the public to address the board. Speakers are asked to limit their remarks to a maximum of three minutes. Questions and suggestions will be referred to the superintendent for further study and consideration. Questions of fact about school programs or budget are best answered by contacting a building principal, an administrator, or the superintendent. (To reach any of our schools, or the district office, dial 847-235-9657.)
Board of Education members make decisions about school policy, budget, and curriculum. The District 67 Board is the official governing body of District 67 schools, and the District 115 Board is the official governing body of Lake Forest High School. Seven residents are elected from the community at large to serve on each board, and do not represent specific school neighborhoods. Newly elected board members will serve four-year terms without pay. School board elections are held on the first Tuesday of April in odd-numbered years.
Conduct at regular board meetings is determined by an agenda, which is published on the district website and posted in the vestibule of the Administration Building located at the LFHS West Campus (300 S. Waukegan Rd.) prior to each meeting. The structure of the Boards' agendas and meetings follows the format recommended by the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB). Additional material discussed by the board is available to the public at the board meeting and following the board meeting on the district website. The board meets monthly, except for the month of August (meeting dates are published on the district website).
- Educational topics are discussed monthly. Agenda items are devoted to discussion and/oraction on educational initiatives, incidental matters related to personnel, and other governance related issues.
- Budget and financial issues are addressed monthly. Discussion and/or action on matters related to District finances and/or operations such as review of financial statements, approval of bills, budget development, life safety implementation, transportation and other matters related to district operations, is conducted at monthly board meetings.
- Public hearings are required before the adoption of the annual budget. Adoption of the budget is an agenda item at a regular meeting.
- Executive sessions, which are not open to the public, may be held when the Board of Education wishes to discuss collective bargaining, pending court proceedings, the employment of staff, or other confidential matters. Executive sessions are for discussion only; the board reconvenes to public session to take action.
The Lake Forest Boards of Education welcome public attendance and participation at all meetings. It is hoped that by utilizing these guidelines, participation will be maximized, both in terms of fairness and organization.
After being recognized by the Board President:
- Interested speakers should come to the microphone and state their name before addressing the Board.
- Each person will be limited to a maximum of 3 minutes to speak.
- Everyone has a right, within reason, to be heard respectfully. Members of the public will not be allowed to speak a second time until all members of the audience who wish to speak have been allowed to do so.
- Public comment should not be redundant and all comments should be directed to the Board and not the audience.
- To provide accurate responses, detailed questions posed to the Board during public comment will be listened to and taken under advisement. The public is always welcome to meet with school officials to receive information, discuss ideas or express concerns.
- If the public has any letters or other written materials, they may be handed to the Board Clerk for the public record.