Portrait of a Learner
What is a Portrait of a Learner?
The Portrait of a Learner process will help us develop an updated and unified vision among Districts 65, 67, and 115 for the twenty-first century competencies that Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Knollwood students need to succeed in college, career, and beyond. Our Districts share the common aspiration for all students to have a K-12 educational experience that prepares them to thrive in their future lives.
What is the Portrait Process and Timeline?
Over the course of five months, a Design Team was selected and announced. They met four times over March, April, and May to analyze landscape shifts and ask:
- What are the hopes, dreams, and aspirations that our community has for our students?
- What are the skills and mindsets our students need for success in this rapidly changing, complex world?
- What are the implications for the design of the learning experiences — and equitable access to those experiences — we provide in our school systems?
The Districts are partnering with the non-profit Battelle for Kids who will help facilitate this process for our Districts as follows:
- January 10 - January 21, 2022: Form a Design Team of 100-150 individuals of representatives of various stakeholder groups to create the Portrait. The following groups will be represented:
- February 3 - May 3, 2022: Engage Design Team members in collaboration, discussion about the traits and skills that District 67, District 115 and District 65 students will need the most to be successful in adult life.
- June 2022: Create a visual representation of the finalized traits and share at the end of the school year. The end deliverable will guide our strategic planning process and will serve as a North star for the District.
Click on the cover above to explore the publication.
The Progression of Our Design