Benefits and Categories of Improvements
The proposed LFHS improvements would deliver many benefits for both our students and the community, including:
- Creating a healthier, safer and more secure high school
- Extending the useful life of existing facilities
- Reducing costly emergency repairs
- Enhancing Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility
- Improving energy efficiency
- Attracting and retaining quality teachers
- Improving access to student support services
- Preparing students for college and careers
- Maintaining academic excellence
- Protecting property values
Repair or replace outdated roofing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, historical windows, lighting/controls, and masonry. Address exterior enclosure improvements.
Update fire protection system. Install rapid lock-down system, and door sensors at all exterior doors. Construct interior partition systems for after-hours security.
Improve outdated labs and bring the last remaining classrooms to the same capabilities as those updated in 2006, including acoustics, lighting, instructional technology, furniture, and related upgrades.
Address code issues and improve accessibility, including ADA upgrades to restrooms, drinking fountains, ramp slopes, handrails at stairs and ramps, and pull clearances at doors.
Relocate, reconfigure and/or expand spaces for counselors, student psychologists, and other student support professionals and faculty. Better integrate instructional spaces for special education.